Winter’s arrival calls for a dedicated approach to home maintenance, especially when it comes to your plumbing. Frozen pipes can wreak havoc on your home, resulting in expensive repairs and extensive water damage. However, with the right knowledge and preparation, you can protect your plumbing from the harsh winter conditions. If you’re not a DIY expert, don’t hesitate to call in the professionals from Scully’s Plumbing.
How to Prevent Pipes from Freezing
The key to avoiding the distress of frozen pipes is to take preventive actions:
- Insulate Your Pipes: Pipe insulation is your first defense against freezing temperatures. For a comprehensive guide on insulation and pipe drainage, This Old House has a useful article on how to drain pipes for the winter, which includes tips on using an air compressor to clear pipes.
- Keep Your Home Warm: Consistent indoor heating is essential. If you plan to be away, maintain a minimum temperature to prevent your water pipes from freezing.
- Let Faucets Drip: A dripping faucet keeps water moving, which is crucial for preventing pressure buildup in your pipes. This is a simple yet effective technique for how to stop pipes from freezing.
Water Heater Maintenance
No one wants to be stuck with a broken water heater in the depths of winter:
- Check the Thermostat: Set your water heater to the optimal temperature to prevent overworking.
- Annual Inspections: Contact Scully’s Plumbing at 516-887-1122 for an annual inspection to prevent unexpected failures and maintain efficiency.
Sump Pump Care
A frozen sump pump is a silent winter hazard:
- Inspecting and Cleaning: Properly insulating and cleaning your sump pump will keep it operational. Regular checks can save you from a mid-winter breakdown.
Take care of outdoor plumbing before the freeze to protect it:
- Drain and Shut Off: Learn the full procedure on how to winterize your sprinkler system with This Old House’s step-by-step guide. It covers everything from shutting off the water to protecting backflow valves.
Need Help? Call Scully’s Plumbing
If all this seems overwhelming, remember that Scully’s Plumbing is just a call away at 516-887-1122. From insulating pipes to checking heaters and beyond, we’ll make sure your home is prepped and ready for the winter. Don’t wait until the freeze sets in; call us today and take the first step towards a worry-free winter.
Let Scully’s Plumbing secure your home against the cold with expert care and years of experience. Your peace of mind is our top priority.